What are Superfoods? It’s a term that has come about within the last few years and like anything, you either love it or hate it. It is actually an unscientific term which is often used in marketing to describe food with a high nutrient value.
So whilst the term ‘Superfoods’ is pushed to promote health, in most cases it is actually a super healthy food item so it can be deemed as believable and true. Superfoods are often calorie light and nutrient dense, and will help you maintain your weight, fight disease and live longer.
According to Dr Steven Pratt ‘A superfood has three qualifications: It has to be readily available to the public, it has to contain nutrients that are known to enhance longevity, and its health benefits have to be backed by peer-reviewed, scientific studies’
By including more Superfoods in your daily diet, like nuts, berries and wholegrains full of fibre, protein and important nutrients, instead of your usual processed, sugary snacks you will boost your metabolism and lose more weight than before as they are perfectly weight management friendly and will work in tune with your body.
Top 10 Superfoods to include in your diet
Blueberries are often singled out as a superfood because studies have shown they aid in everything from fighting cancer to lowering cholesterol. But all berries, including raspberries, strawberries and blackberries, contain antioxidants and phytonutrients. Worried about the price of fresh fruit? Experts say frozen berries are just as “super.”
- Salmon provides a high dose of omega-3 fatty acids, which studies show significantly lower the risk of heart disease. Omega-3 fatty acids fight back by reducing inflammation and slowing the rate of plaque build-up in blood vessels. Salmon is also a good source of lean protein.
- Eggs Eating a breakfast high in protein is a good way to keep hunger at bay throughout the day. Eggs are full of choline, a nutrient that helps block fat from being absorbed in the liver. Choline may also help in preventing memory loss.
- Nuts Many dieters shy away from nuts because of their high calorie and fat count. But studies show that eating a handful several times a week can help shed pounds and prevent heart disease. Almonds in particular contain lots of monounsaturated fats and fibre.
- Green Tea Staying hydrated will keep you from munching absent mindedly, and if you choose to drink green tea, you’ll also be increasing your metabolism, which will burn more fat. Plus, the antioxidants (yes, those again) found in green tea can help prevent cancer.
- Broccoli is one of nature’s most nutrient-dense foods, with only 30 calories per cup. That means you get a ton of hunger-curbing fibre and polyphenols — antioxidants that detoxify cell-damaging chemicals in your body — with each serving. Researchers from Johns Hopkins University have long praised broccoli’s cancer-fighting and prevention abilities.
- Yogurt Low-fat dairy is an important part of any superfood-focused diet. Studies show that women who consume approximately 1,400 milligrams of calcium per day burn more fat than their non-dairy-eating counterparts. Yogurt in particular helps slow the production of cortisol, a hormone that slows metabolism.
- Beans Beans, beans, the magical fruit; the more you eat, the more … you lose weight. Black, kidney, white and garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas) all end up on superfood lists because of their fibre and protein. They fill you up and provide muscle-building material without any of the fat that meat can add to your meal.
By including more superfoods into your diet you are giving yourself energy and vitality, which in turn makes you feel healthier. When you feel healthier you want to excercise and be active, and when you are active you sleep better, which means you are fueling and using your body as the lean fighting machine that it is designed to be.
By investing in the most important part of your life, you, just as you invest in all other areas of your life, like your house, car, holidays ect, you will be here a lot longer to enjoy all these things that life has to offer you. Try some superfoods into your diet today.
See how my hypnotherapy weight loss programme in Leicester can help you lose the weight you need to, quickly and easily. I am a licensed virtual gastric band Hypno-Band practitioner in Leicester and a weight management specialist for the Midlands. My hypno-diet isn’t about dieting and deprivation, call me for a no obligation chat on freephone 0800 612 8159. Look forward to hearing from you, Shelly 🙂